Monday, April 22, 2013

Great Artists I Wish I Could Paint Like or GAIWICPL #1: Adam Rex


I can't remember how I was first introduced to Adam Rex' work.  But as soon as I saw it, I immediately told everyone else about him.  Fantasy artist, children's book illustrator, writer, poet!  He does it all!  One of the things that stood out to me right away about his work is the way he bridges the gap between children's lit and fantasy work.  His work seems equally appropriate for both genres.  I love children's books and fantasy illustration and struggle to pick a genre to focus on.  Looking at Adam's stuff makes me think it might be possible to entertain both sides of my art and be successful at it too.  I even had the chance to meet him (though he'd never remember) several years back when he was on a book tour, here in Raleigh, promoting one of his award winning books, Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich.  My son and I sat in as he made up a story for a group of kids and, afterward, he was kind enough to give me some valuable industry insight.


 His art and stories are beautifully created but also have a strangeness to them that I love.  Superhero Abraham Lincoln fighting a giant squid on the moon (as seen on his blog), for example.  Need I say more?  No.  I don't.


 Adam is also a fantastic blogger and a really funny guy!  He knows his readers and cares about them. He answers people's questions, challenges his readers to write poetry, and will even pour chocolate syrup over his head for his readers, under the right circumstances.

Anyway!  Check out his art, news about his books, and his bio on his site.  To catch a glimpse at his process and other random cool stuff, check out his blog!  Enjoy!

No comments: